KannadaWaC: Corpus of the Kannada Web
The Kannada Web corpus (KannadaWaC) is a language corpus made up of texts collected from the Internet. The corpus was prepared according to standards described in the document A Corpus Factory for Many Languages (Kilgarriff et al. at LREC 2010).
Data was crawled by the SpiderLing web spider and the WebBootCat tool in 2012 with the final size 11 million words.
For POS tagging of corpus texts, there was used tagger version 2 developed by Siva Reddy and Serge Sharoff. See the POS tagset legend.
Tools to work with the Kannada corpus
A complete set of Sketch Engine tools is available to work with this Kannada corpus from the Web to generate:
- word sketch – Kannada collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- keywords – terminology extraction of one-word
- word lists – lists of Kannada nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
- text type analysis – statistics of metadata in the corpus
version 2 (17 January 2012)
- corpus tagged using a new POS tagger (77.63% accuracy), lemmatizer and morph analyser downloaded from http://sivareddy.in/downloads
BARONI, Marco; KILGARRIFF, Adam. Large linguistically-processed web corpora for multiple languages. In: Proceedings of the Eleventh Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Posters & Demonstrations. Association for Computational Linguistics, 2006, pp. 87–90.
Reddy, S., & Sharoff, S. (2011, November). Cross language POS taggers (and other tools) for Indian languages: An experiment with Kannada using Telugu resources. In Proceedings of the Fifth International Workshop On Cross Lingual Information Access (pp. 11-19).
Search the Kannada Web corpus
Sketch Engine offers a range of tools to work with the Kannada corpus from the web.
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generating collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extracting terms is easy with Sketch Engine. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.