Parallel corpus from tabular data
The simplest way to create a parallel corpus is to upload data in a tabular format such as a spreadsheet (Excel), TMX, XML, XLIFF or other similar formats.
Spreadsheet format requirements
Spreadsheets must contain language names in the first row and then aligned segments (e.g. sentences) side by side. Each column with data is treated as data for a different language, i.e. spreadsheet for 2 languages must only contain 2 columns of data, all other columns must be empty
Follow these steps
- on the corpus dashboard, click NEW CORPUS
- click MULTILINGUAL
- type the corpus name and choose the file
- Upload TMX or XLS
- other supported formats: XLIFF (v. 2.0 and higher), CSV, TSV, XLSX
(if xlsx does not upload correctly, try opening the file in Excel and save as Excel 97-2003 Workbook)
- on the following screen, check the languages were identified correctly
- click Next
- wait for the corpus to be processed, you can leave the screen and find the corpus later in My corpora
Each language in the source file will be processed into a separate monolingual corpus and aligned with the corresponding corpus in the other language(s).
To search the corpus as a parallel corpus, first select the corpus in the language that should appear on the left and then, when setting the search criteria, select the other language(s). Multiple languages can be selected to display a multilingual concordance.
Add more texts - make the corpus bigger
When adding texts to an existing corpus, they have to be added separately to each language. The same file containing aligned data has to be uploaded as many times as therere are lanuages in the corpus. It cannot be done in one step. Each time, Sketch Engine will only upload one language corresponding to the language of the selected corpus.
- select the first language of the multilingual corpus
- go to dashboard dashboard
- click MANAGE CORPUS, then MAKE BIGGER
- click I have my own texts cloud_upload
- upload the file, only the language corresponding to the language of this corpus will be uploaded
- wait for the data to be processed and proceed to the next screens to compile the corpus
- when the corpus is compiled, select the second language of the multilingual corpus and follow the same procedure to upload the data in the second language
This procedure has to be repeated as many times as there are languages in the corpus.