miTenTen: Corpus of the Māori Web
The Māori Web Corpus (miTenTen) is a Māori corpus made up of texts collected from the Internet. The corpus belongs to the TenTen corpus family which is a set of web corpora built using the same method with a target size 10+ billion words. Sketch Engine currently provides access to TenTen corpora in more than 40 languages.
The corpus data for this Māori Web Corpus include Maori WaC corpus 2013 and crawling of the Māori Web and the Māori Wikipedia in July 2020. The miTenTen corpus has not been part-of-speech tagged and lemmatized yet. Texts were cleaned and deduplicated. The Māori Web corpus is filtered out from machine translation and the other Austronesian languages.
For detailed information about TenTen corpora, see Common TenTen corpora attributes.
Tools to work with the Māori corpus
A complete set of tools is available to work with this Māori corpus to generate:
- keywords – terminology extraction of one-word and multi-words units
- word lists – lists of Māori words organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
- keywords– terminology extraction of one-word
- text type analysis – statistics of metadata in the corpus
Jakubíček, M., Kilgarriff, A., Kovář, V., Rychlý, P., & Suchomel, V. (2013, July). The TenTen corpus family. In 7th International Corpus Linguistics Conference CL (pp. 125-127).
Suchomel, V., & Pomikálek, J. (2012). Efficient web crawling for large text corpora. In Proceedings of the seventh Web as Corpus Workshop (WAC7) (pp. 39-43).
Maori Web 2013 and 2020 (miTenTen20)
version 1 (August 2020)
- initial size 13.5 million tokens (it consists of Maori WaC 2013 and new data from 2020)
- used advanced filtering & manually checking of domains – maximum reduction of machine translations and the other Austronesian languages
- texts not containing macrons at all were removed from the corpus
- not part-of-speech tagged and lemmatized
Search the Māori corpus
Sketch Engine offers a range of tools to work with this Māori corpus from the web.
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generating collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extracting terms. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.