taWaC: Tamil web corpus
The Tamil web corpus (taWaC) is a language corpus made up of texts collected from the Internet. The corpus was prepared according to standards described in the document A Corpus Factory for Many Languages (Kilgarriff et al. at LREC 2010).
Data was crawled by the SpiderLing web spider in 2015 with the final size 26 million words. The corpus is tagged with shallow part-of-speech tags and has universal word sketch grammar in order to examine basic word relations.
Tools to work with the Tamil Web corpus
A complete set of Sketch Engine tools is available to work with this Tamil Web corpus to generate:
- word sketch – Tamil collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- word lists – lists of Tamil nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
- keywords– terminology extraction of one-word
- text type analysis – statistics of metadata in the corpus
Corpus factory method
Kilgarriff, A., Reddy, S., Pomikálek, J., & Avinesh, P. V. S. (2010, May). A corpus factory for many languages. In LREC.
Search the Tamil Web corpus
Sketch Engine offers a range of tools to work with the Tamil Web corpus.
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generating collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extracting terms is easy with Sketch Engine. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.