elTenTen: Corpus of the Greek Web
The Greek Web Corpus (elTenTen) is a language corpus made up of texts collected from the Internet. The corpus belongs to the TenTen corpus family which is a set of the web corpora built using the same method with a target size 10+ billion words. Sketch Engine currently provides access to TenTen corpora in more than 40 languages.
Data was crawled by the SpiderLing web spider in December 2019 and January 2020 and it is comprised of 2.3 billion words.
Detailed information about TenTen corpora is on the separate page Common TenTen corpora attributes.
The elTenTen corpus is tagged by TreeTagger using Greek INTERA tagset.
Overview of Greek TenTen corpora
These web corpora were crawled and processed repeatedly during the years:
- Greek Web 2019 (elTenTen19) – 2.3 billion words, genre annotation and topic classification
- Greek Web 2014 (elTenTen14) – 1.6 billion words
Genre annotation and topic classification
The Greek Web 2019 corpus contains genre annotation and topic classification that can be displayed as corpus structures. Genres refer to writing styles and are divided into four groups (blog, discussion, legal, news) whereas topic classification is inspired by categories used by https://curlie.org/ (formerly dmoz.org) and includes the following topics: arts, business, games, health, home, recreation, reference, society, sport, and technology.
Further information about texts in the corpus
Tools to work with the Greek corpus from the Web
A complete set of tools is available to work with this elTenTen Greek corpus to generate:
- word sketch – Greek collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- keywords – terminology extraction of one-word and multi-word units
- word lists – lists of Greek nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
elTenTen19 version 1 (May 2022)
- 2.7 billion tokens were downloaded by SpiderLing in December 2019 and January 2020
- cleaned, deduplicated
- PoS tagged and lemmatized by the TreeTagger pipeline version 3 (Greek INTERA tagset)
- genre and topic classification
v. 0 (September 2014)
- crawled by SpiderLing in August 2014
- 1.6 billion words
SUCHOMEL, Vít. Better Web Corpora For Corpus Linguistics And NLP. 2020. Available also from: https://is.muni.cz/th/u4rmz/. Doctoral thesis. Masaryk University, Faculty of Informatics, Brno. Supervised by Pavel RYCHLÝ.
Jakubíček, M., Kilgarriff, A., Kovář, V., Rychlý, P., & Suchomel, V. (2013, July). The TenTen corpus family. In 7th International Corpus Linguistics Conference CL (pp. 125-127).
Suchomel, V., & Pomikálek, J. (2012). Efficient web crawling for large text corpora. In Proceedings of the seventh Web as Corpus Workshop (WAC7) (pp. 39-43).
SUCHOMEL, Vít. Genre Annotation of Web Corpora: Scheme and Issues. In Kohei Arai, Supriya Kapoor, Rahul Bhatia. Proceedings of the Future Technologies Conference (FTC) 2020, Volume 1. Vancouver, Canada: Springer Nature Switzerland AG, 2021. s. 738-754. ISBN 978-3-030-63127-7. doi:10.1007/978-3-030-63128-4_55.
Search the Greek corpus
Sketch Engine offers a range of tools to work with this Greek corpus from the web.
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generate collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extract. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.