Corpus of English Wikipedia
The English Wikipedia corpus is an English corpus created from the English internet encyclopedia Wikipedia in 2014. In the process of building this corpus, Wikipedia dump was used (from the second half of September 2014). The XML structure was converted using WikiExtractor.py (Python script for extracting and cleaning text from a Wikipedia database dump). The corpus contains 1.3 billion words and texts are lemmatized and morphologically analyzed.
The corpus was POS tagged with TreeTagger using Penn TreeBank tagset.
Tools to work with the English Wikipedia corpus
A complete set of tools is available to work with this English corpus from Wikipedia to generate:
- word sketch – English collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- word lists – lists of English nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
- keywords– terminology extraction of one-word
- text type analysis – statistics of metadata in the corpus
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generate collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extract. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.