frTenTen: Corpus of the French Web
The French Web Corpus (frTenTen) is a French corpus made up of texts collected from the Internet. The corpus belongs to the TenTen corpus family which is a set of the web corpora built using the same method with a target size 10+ billion words. Sketch Engine currently provides access to TenTen corpora in more than 30 languages.
The corpus contains many varieties of the French language – European, Canadian and African French.
Detailed information about TenTen corpora is on the separate page Common TenTen corpora attributes.
Overview of French TenTen corpora
These web corpora were crawled and processed repeatedly during the last ten years:
- French Web corpus 2017 (frTenTen17) – 5.7 billion words (annotated by FreeLing; improved language filtering)
- French Web corpus 2012 (frTenTen12) – 9.8 billion words (annotated by TreeTagger)
frtenten corpus in detail
The chart shows the distribution of the parts of speech in the French Web corpus 2012.
Further information about texts in the corpus frTenTen17
Distribution of top-level domains
Tools to work with the French corpus from the web
A complete set of Sketch Engine tools is available to work with this French corpus to generate:
- word sketch – French collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- keywords – terminology extraction of one-word and multi-word units
- word lists – lists of French nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
frTenTen17 (December 2018)
- crawled in December 2017
- annotated by FreeLing pipeline v2
frTenTen12 version 2 (February 18 2015)
- retokenised and processed with up-to-date versions of tools (TreeTagger pipeline v2)
- Spanish documents filtered out
frTenTen12 version 1 (April 2012)
- initial version – 10.7 billion word (February 2012)
- annotated by TreeTagger pipeline
Jakubíček, M., Kilgarriff, A., Kovář, V., Rychlý, P., & Suchomel, V. (2013, July). The TenTen corpus family. In 7th International Corpus Linguistics Conference CL (pp. 125-127).
Suchomel, V., & Pomikálek, J. (2012). Efficient web crawling for large text corpora. In Proceedings of the seventh Web as Corpus Workshop (WAC7) (pp. 39-43).
Search the French corpus
Sketch Engine offers a range of tools to work with this French corpus.
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generate collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extract terms. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.