itTenTen: Corpus of the Italian Web
The Italian Web corpus (itTenTen) is an Italian corpus made up of texts collected from the Internet. The corpus is a part of the TenTen corpus family which is a set of the web corpora built using the same method with a target size 10+ billion words. Sketch Engine currently provides access to TenTen corpora in more than 40 languages.
For detailed information about TenTen corpora, see Common TenTen corpora attributes.
The most recent version of the itTenTen corpus consists of 12 billion words. The texts were downloaded from the Web in November and December 2019 (including Wikipedia) and December 2020. The sample texts of the biggest web domains which account for 40% of all corpus texts were checked manually and content with poor quality text and spam was removed.
The current Italian Web Corpus is processed Part-of-speech tagging and lemmatization were performed using FreeLing analyzer with Italian configuration, see the Italian FreeLing PoS tagset.
The older Italian web corpora 2016 and 2010 were processed with the TreeTagger tool using Marco Baroni’s parameter file. The POS tagset description is available here.
Overview of Italian TenTen corpora
- Italian Web 2020 (itTenTen20) – 12.4 billion words (tagged by FreeLing morphological analyzer)
- Italian Web 2016 (itTenTen16) – 4.9 billion words (tagged by TreeTagger)
- Italian Web 2010 (itTenTen10) – 2.5 billion words (tagged by TreeTagger)
Basic information of itTenTen20 corpus
Tools to work with the Italian web corpora
A complete set of Sketch Engine tools is available to work with these Italian corpora to generate:
- word sketch – Italian collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- keywords – terminology extraction of one-word and multi-word units
- word lists – lists of Italian nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
itTenTen20 version 1 (February 2022)
- initial version 16.1 billion tokens
- part-of-speech tagging and lemmatization using FreeLing analyzer
- word sketch grammar improved and adapted for the FreeLing tagset
- new term grammar for FreeLing tagset
itTenTen16 v. 1.1 (July 2017)
- part-of-speech tagging
itTenTen16 v. 1.0 (October 2016)
- initial version – 4.9 billion words
itTenTen10 v. 1.0 (9 September 2010)
- initial version – 2.6 billion words
Jakubíček, M., Kilgarriff, A., Kovář, V., Rychlý, P., & Suchomel, V. (2013, July). The TenTen corpus family. In 7th International Corpus Linguistics Conference CL (pp. 125-127).
Suchomel, V., & Pomikálek, J. (2012). Efficient web crawling for large text corpora. In Proceedings of the seventh Web as Corpus Workshop (WAC7) (pp. 39-43).
Learn to use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generate collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extract terms. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in a few minutes.