noTenTen: Corpus of the Norwegian Web
The Norwegian Web Corpus (noTenTen) is a Norwegian corpus made up of texts collected from the Internet. The corpus belongs to the TenTen corpus family which is a set of the web corpora built using the same method with a target size 10+ billion words. Sketch Engine currently provides access to TenTen corpora in more than 30 languages. Data was crawled by the SpiderLing web spider.
Overview of corpus versions
These Norwegia web corpora were crawled and processed repeatedly during the last ten years:
- Norwegian Web 2017 (both language variants) – 2.65 billion words
- Norwegian Web (Bokmål) – 2.47 billion words
- Norwegian Web 2017 (Nynorsk) – 173 million words
- Norwegian Web 2015 (both language variants) – 1.69 billion words
- Norwegian Web 2015 (Bokmål) – 1.17 billion words
- Norwegian Web 2015 (Nynorsk) – 44 million words
- Norwegian Web 2012 (both language variants) – 669 million words
Detailed information about TenTen corpora is on the separate page Common TenTen corpora attributes.
The tags are available in two corpus attributes:
- tag – a part of speech
- tag_attrs – a morphological detail
For instance, where the original tag is “pron ent pers hum nom 1” (pronoun singular personal human nominative 1):
- tag = “pron”
- tag_attrs = “ent pers hum nom 1”
Tools to work with the Norwegian Web corpus
A complete set of Sketch Engine tools is available to work with this Norwegian corpus to generate:
- word sketch – Norwegian collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- keywords – terminology extraction of one-word and multi-word units
- word lists – lists of Norwegian nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
notenten17 version 1 (September, 2018)
- 2.8 billion tokens
- deep cleaning of foreign languages, especially Danish
- two separate language version
- subcorpus of Norwegian Wikipedia
notenten15 version 4 (2016)
- Danish removed
- Bokmål and Nynorsk separated
notenten15 version 2 (February 2015)
- crawled new version – 1.7 billion words
notenten12 version 1 (21 February 2012)
- initial version – 770 million tokens
Jakubíček, M., Kilgarriff, A., Kovář, V., Rychlý, P., & Suchomel, V. (2013, July). The TenTen corpus family. In 7th International Corpus Linguistics Conference CL (pp. 125-127).
Suchomel, V., & Pomikálek, J. (2012). Efficient web crawling for large text corpora. In Proceedings of the seventh Web as Corpus Workshop (WAC7) (pp. 39-43).
Search the Norwegian corpus
Sketch Engine offers a range of tools to work with the Norwegian corpus.
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generating collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extracting terms is easy with Sketch Engine. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.