noTenTen: Corpus of the Norwegian Web
The Norwegian Web Corpus (noTenTen) is a Norwegian corpus made up of texts collected from the Internet. The corpus belongs to the TenTen corpus family which is a set of the web corpora built using the same method with a target size 10+ billion words. Sketch Engine currently provides access to TenTen corpora in more than 40 languages. Data was crawled by the SpiderLing web spider. The Norwegian Web 2017 corpus consists of 2.63 billion words. The texts were downloaded between 2011, 2015, and 2017. The Wikipedia part is from 2017.
Detailed information about TenTen corpora is on the separate page Common TenTen corpora attributes.
The noTenTen corpus was POS annotated by Oslo-Bergen Tagger using this tagset summary.
The tags are available in two corpus attributes:
- tag – a part of speech
- tag_attrs – a morphological detail
For instance, where the original tag is “pron ent pers hum nom 1” (pronoun singular personal human nominative 1):
- tag = “pron”
- tag_attrs = “ent pers hum nom 1”
Overview of Norwegian TenTen corpora
This is a list of Norwegian Web corpora available in Sketch Engine:
- Norwegian Web 2017 (both language variants) – 2.63 billion words
- Norwegian Web 2017 (Bokmål) – 2.46 billion words
- Norwegian Web 2017 (Nynorsk) – 169 million words
- Norwegian Web 2015 (both language variants) – 1.69 billion words
- Norwegian Web 2015 (Bokmål) – 1.17 billion words
- Norwegian Web 2015 (Nynorsk) – 44 million words
- Norwegian Web 2012 (both language variants) – 669 million words
Basic frequency statistics of the Norwegian Web 2017 corpus
Tools to work with the Norwegian corpus from the web
A complete set of Sketch Engine tools is available to work with this Norwegian corpus to generate:
- word sketch – Norwegian collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- keywords – terminology extraction of one-word and multi-word units
- word lists – lists of Norwegian nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
- text type analysis – statistics of metadata in the corpus
version 2 (August 2022)
- 2.9 billion tokens
- processed by the Oslo-bergen tagger Bokmal pipeline version 2
version 1 (September 2018)
- 2.8 billion tokens
- deep cleaning of foreign languages, especially Danish
- two separate language version
- subcorpus of Norwegian Wikipedia
notenten15 version 4 (2016)
- Danish removed
- Bokmål and Nynorsk separated
notenten15 version 2 (February 2015)
- crawled new version – 1.7 billion words
notenten12 version 1 (21 February 2012)
- initial version – 770 million tokens
Jakubíček, M., Kilgarriff, A., Kovář, V., Rychlý, P., & Suchomel, V. (2013, July). The TenTen corpus family. In 7th International Corpus Linguistics Conference CL (pp. 125-127).
Suchomel, V., & Pomikálek, J. (2012). Efficient web crawling for large text corpora. In Proceedings of the seventh Web as Corpus Workshop (WAC7) (pp. 39-43).
Search the Norwegian corpus
Sketch Engine offers a range of tools to work with the Norwegian corpus.
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generating collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extracting terms is easy with Sketch Engine. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.