Word sketch difference — compare two words
Word Sketch Difference is an extension of the word sketch. It generates Word Sketches for two words and compares them making it a breeze to observe differences in use. The feature is especially useful for close synonyms, antonyms and words from the same semantic field.
Compare two words
The availability of this feature depends on the corpus.
Using word sketch difference
- choose a corpus
- click word sketch difference
- type the two lemmas to be compared (=the basic form of a word, if the word is went, the lemma is go
The result assigns red and green colours to each lemma. The collocates in green tend to combine with the green lemma, the collocates in red tend to combine with the red lemma. The white collocates combine with both lemmas. Bolder shades indicate stronger collocations.
go to Word Sketch Difference
change the order of columns
- show visualisations for this type of relation
- keep this column and hide the others
- hide this column
local menu to display:
- the collocation in context for the 1st word (concordance)
- the collocation in context for the 2nd word (concordance)
- word sketch for the collocation with the 1st word (multi-word sketch)
- word sketch for the collocation with the 2nd word (multi-word sketch)
- thesaurus for the collocate
toolbar with access to:
- change search criteria
- download results
- change what information you see
- display search criteria
- adding this result to favourites for easy access next time
Use the local menu to access examples in context (concordance), word sketches of each collocation and also the thesaurus of the collocate.