arTenTen: Corpus of the Arabic Web
The Arabic Web Corpus (arTenTen) is a language corpus made up of texts collected from the Internet. The corpus belongs to the TenTen corpus family which is a set of the web corpora built using the same method with a target size 10+ billion words. Sketch Engine currently provides access to TenTen corpora in more than 40 languages.
Detailed information about TenTen corpora is on the separate page Common TenTen corpora attributes.
The arTenTen corpus was tagged by the Stanford Arabic parser using the following POS tagset summary.
arTenTen corpus in detail
The chart shows the distribution of the parts of speech in the Arabic Web corpus 2012.
Further information about texts in the corpus
* the figures above are rounded to million
Distribution of top level domains
Tools to work with this Arabic corpus from the web
A complete set of Sketch Engine tools is available to work with this Arabic corpus to generate:
- word sketch – Arabic collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- keywords – terminology extraction of one-word units
- word lists – lists of Arabic nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
Stanford version (August 2015)
- tokenized and tagged with Stanford NLP Tools
word sketch version (fall 2014)
- created and implemented word sketches for Arabic
initial version (April 2012)
- initial size – 5.8 billion words
- part-of-speech (POS) tagged and lemmatized with the MADA tool
We have also created ‘word sketches’: one-page, automatic, corpus-derived summaries of a
word’s grammatical and collocational behavior. We use examples to demonstrate what the corpus can
show us regarding Arabic words and phrases and how this can support lexicography and inform
Arts, T., Belinkov, Y., Habash, N., Kilgarriff, A., & Suchomel, V. (2014). arTenTen: Arabic Corpus and Word Sketches. Journal of King Saud University-Computer and Information Sciences, 26(4), 357-371.
Belinkov, Y., Habash, N., Kilgarriff, A., Ordan, N., Roth, R., & Suchomel, V. (2013). arTenTen: a new, vast corpus for Arabic. Proceedings of WACL.
Jakubíček, M., Kilgarriff, A., Kovář, V., Rychlý, P., & Suchomel, V. (2013, July). The TenTen corpus family. In 7th International Corpus Linguistics Conference CL (pp. 125-127).
Suchomel, V., & Pomikálek, J. (2012). Efficient web crawling for large text corpora. In Proceedings of the seventh Web as Corpus Workshop (WAC7) (pp. 39-43).
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generating collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extracting terms is easy with Sketch Engine. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.