Medical corpus: English corpus from the web
The Medical corpus is a domain-specific corpus made up of texts in English related to medical science, collected from the Internet. The corpus was prepared according to standards described in the document A Corpus Factory for Many Languages (Kilgarriff et al. at LREC 2010). The final size of the corpus totals 33 million words.
The Medical web corpus was tagged with the TreeTagger using the English Penn Treebank POS tagset.
Tools to work with the English Medical web corpus
A complete set of Sketch Engine tools is available to work with this English web corpus to generate:
- word sketch – English collocations categorized by grammatical relations in the medical field
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- keywords– terminology extraction of one-word and multi-word units
- word lists – lists of English nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units from the medical field
- concordance – examples in the context of medicine environment
- text type analysis – statistics of metadata in the corpus
Domain specific corpus
Avinesh, P. V. S., McCarthy, D., Glennon, D., & Pomikálek, J. (2012). Domain specific corpora from the web. In Proc. EURALEX.
Corpus factory method
Kilgarriff, A., Reddy, S., Pomikálek, J., & Avinesh, P. V. S. (2010, May). A corpus factory for many languages. In LREC.
Search the Medical web corpus
Sketch Engine offers a range of tools to work with this medical corpus.
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generate collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extract terms. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.