hrWaC: Croatian corpus from the web
The Croatian web corpus (hrWaC) is a Croatian corpus made up of texts collected from the Internet. The corpus was prepared according to standards described in the document A Corpus Factory for Many Languages (Kilgarriff et al. at LREC 2010). The corpus was created in January 2014 with the total size over 1.2 billion words.
The hrWaC corpus was PoS tagged with MULTEXT-East Croatian part-of-speech tagset version 5.
Tools to work with the Croatian corpus
A complete set of tools is available to work with this Croatian corpus to generate:
- word sketch – Croatian collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- word lists – lists of Croatian nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
- keywords– terminology extraction of one-word units
- text type analysis – statistics of metadata in the corpus
hrWaC 2.2 (March 2018)
- further improved word sketch grammar
hrWaC 2.2 (July 2017)
- improved tokenization
- new word sketches
- added further metainformation: year of crawling, language (Croatian, Serbian)
hrWaC 2.0 (May 2014)
- crawled in January 2014
- 1.2 billion words
BARONI, Marco, et al. The WaCky wide web: a collection of very large linguistically processed web-crawledcorpora. Language resources and evaluation, 2009, 43.3: 209-226.
Corpus factory method
Adam Kilgarriff, Siva Reddy, Jan Pomikálek, and Avinesh PVS. A corpus factory for many languages. In LREC workshop on Web Services and Processing Pipelines, Malta, May 2010.
Search the hrWaC corpus
Sketch Engine offers a range of tools to work with this Croatian corpus from the web.
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generating collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extracting terms. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.