MAGPIE: a sense-annotated corpus
The MAGPIE corpus is a sense-annotated English corpus of potentially idiomatic expressions (PIEs), based on the British National Corpus (BNC). It consists of 4.5 million words and thanks to the annotation of idiomatic expressions enables users to search for idioms such as in the long run, follow suit, etc.
The original data of the MAGPIE corpus is available in this GitHub repository.
The MAGPIE corpus is a part-of-speech tagged corpus by the TreeTagger pipeline using the following TreeTagger part-of-speech tagset.
Tools to work with the MAGPIE corpus
A complete set of Sketch Engine tools is available to work with this sense-annotated corpus to generate:
- word sketch – English collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- keywords – terminology extraction of one-word and multi-word units
- word lists – lists of English nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
- text type analysis – statistics of metadata in the corpus
Haagsma, Hessel, Johan Bos, and Malvina Nissim. “MAGPIE: A large corpus of potentially idiomatic expressions.” In Proceedings of The 12th Language Resources and Evaluation Conference, pp. 279-287. 2020.
Search the MAGPIE corpus
Sketch Engine offers a range of tools to work with this sense-annotated English corpus.
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generate collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extract terms. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.