ptTenTen: Corpus of the Portuguese Web
The Portuguese Web Corpus (ptTenTen) is a Portuguese language corpus made up of texts collected from the Internet. It belongs to the TenTen corpus family which is a set of web corpora built using the same method with a target size 10+ billion words. Sketch Engine currently provides access to TenTen corpora in more than 40 languages. The corpora are built using technology specialized in collecting only linguistically valuable web content.
The Portuguese Web 2018 corpus contains more than 7.4 billion words (downloaded between February and April 2018) and includes both main Portuguese language varieties – European and Brazilian Portuguese.
Detailed information about TenTen corpora is on the separate page Common TenTen corpora attributes.
Basic information about Portuguese Web 2018 corpus
Overview of Portuguese corpora from the web
Sketch Engine offers several Portuguese Web corpora:
- Portuguese Web 2011 (ptTenTen18) – tagged using FreeLing pipeline version 4
- Portuguese Web 2011 (ptTenTen11) – tagged using FreeLing pipeline version 4 with orthography normalization + new word sketches by Tanara Zingano Kuhn
- automatical detection of words in Brazilian Portuguese
- attribute morpheme containing clitics, e.g. apresentar, se, nos for the word apresenta-se-nos
- attribute ao containing orthographic normalization, e.g. ação for acção (acc. the Portuguese Language Orthographic Agreement)
- lemma always corresponds to the new Portuguese orthography (2016)
- Portuguese Web 2011 (ptTenTen11, Freeling v3) – version processed with the FreeLing tagger using the following POS tags
- Portuguese Web 2011 (ptTenTen11, Palavras parsed) – version processed with Eckhard Bick’s PALAVRAS parser, post-processed to optimise word sketch output by Pete Whitelock and tagged with the VISL part-of-speech tagset
Tools to work with the Portuguese corpus
A complete set of Sketch Engine tools is available to work with this Portuguese corpus to generate:
- word sketch – Portuguese collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- keywords – terminology extraction of one-word and multi-word units
- word lists – lists of Portuguese nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
- text type analysis – statistics of metadata in the corpus
November 2022 – ptTenTen18
- FreeLing pipeline version 4
- 8.7 billion tokens
- crawled by Spiderling in February to April 201
- tagged with FreeLing pipeline v4 with orthography normalization
- improved tokenization 3,896,392,719 words
- new word sketch grammar by Tanara Zingano Kuhn
19th December 2013
- tagged by Freeling
- attribute lempos added
- finished version – 3.2 billion tokens processed with Palavras parsing system
- crawled by the SpiderLing web spider in March 2011 and August 2012 which yielded almost 4 billion words
24th March 2011
- initial version – 0.9 billion tokens
Kilgarriff, A., Jakubíček, M., Pomikalek, J., Sardinha, T. B., & Whitelock, P. (2014). PtTenTen: a corpus for Portuguese lexicography. Working with Portuguese Corpora, 111-30.
Word sketches by Tanara Zingano Kuhn
Kuhn, Tanara Zingano, and Iztok Kosem. “Devising a Sketch Grammar for Academic Portuguese.” Slovenščina 2.0: empirical, applied and interdisciplinary research 4.1 (2017): 124-161.
Kuhn, Tanara Zingano (2017). A Design proposal of an on-line corpus-driven dictionary of Portuguese for university students (doctoral dissertation). University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal.
Portuguese word sketches of the PALAVRAS parser
Kilgarriff, A., Pomikalek, J., Jakubíček, M., & Whitelock, P. (2012). Setting up for corpus lexicography. Skin, 1, 1-38.
SUCHOMEL, Vít. Better Web Corpora For Corpus Linguistics And NLP. 2020. Available also from: https://is.muni.cz/th/u4rmz/. Doctoral thesis. Masaryk University, Faculty of Informatics, Brno. Supervised by Pavel RYCHLÝ.
Jakubíček, M., Kilgarriff, A., Kovář, V., Rychlý, P., & Suchomel, V. (2013, July). The TenTen corpus family. In 7th International Corpus Linguistics Conference CL (pp. 125-127).
Suchomel, V., & Pomikálek, J. (2012). Efficient web crawling for large text corpora. In Proceedings of the seventh Web as Corpus Workshop (WAC7) (pp. 39-43).
SUCHOMEL, Vít. Genre Annotation of Web Corpora: Scheme and Issues. In Kohei Arai, Supriya Kapoor, Rahul Bhatia. Proceedings of the Future Technologies Conference (FTC) 2020, Volume 1. Vancouver, Canada: Springer Nature Switzerland AG, 2021. s. 738-754. ISBN 978-3-030-63127-7. doi:10.1007/978-3-030-63128-4_55.
Search the Portuguese corpus
Sketch Engine offers a range of tools to work with this Portuguese corpus.
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generate collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extract terms. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.