roTenTen: Corpus of the Romanian Web
The Romanian Web Corpus (roTenTen) is a Romanian corpus made up of texts collected from the Internet. The corpus belongs to the TenTen corpus family. Sketch Engine currently provides access to TenTen corpora in more than 40 languages. The corpora are built using technology specialized in collecting only linguistically valuable web content.
For detailed information about TenTen corpora, see Common TenTen corpora attributes.
The most recent version of the roTenTen corpus consists of 2.7 billion words. The texts were downloaded in March 2021 with Romanian Wikipedia from 2020. The sample texts of the biggest web domains which account for 67% of all corpus texts were checked semi-manually and content with poor quality text and spam was removed.
Tools to work with the Romanian Web corpus
A complete set of Sketch Engine tools is available to work with this Romanian corpus to generate:
- word sketch– Romanian collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus– synonyms and similar words for every word
- keywords– terminology extraction of one-word units
- word lists – lists of English nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams– frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
- text type analysis – statistics of metadata in the corpus
roTenTen21 version 1.0 (June 2023)
- initial version – 3.3. billion tokens
roTenTen16 version 1.0 (August 2016)
- initial version – 3.14 billion tokens
Jakubíček, M., Kilgarriff, A., Kovář, V., Rychlý, P., & Suchomel, V. (2013, July). The TenTen corpus family. In 7th International Corpus Linguistics Conference CL (pp. 125-127).
Suchomel, V., & Pomikálek, J. (2012). Efficient web crawling for large text corpora. In Proceedings of the seventh Web as Corpus Workshop (WAC7) (pp. 39-43).
Search the Romanian corpus
Sketch Engine offers a range of tools to work with this Romanian corpus.
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generating collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extracting terms is easy with Sketch Engine. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.