Corpus Brasileiro: corpus of Brazilian Portuguese
The Corpus Brasileiro (CB) is a text corpus created as the result of a project funded by Fapesp (Sao Paulo State Research Foundation) in the period from May 2008 – April 2010, supported by CEPRIL (Center for Research and Information on Language), the Graduate Program in Applied Linguistics (LAEL) at Sao Paulo Catholic University (PUCSP), Brazil. The project team included Tony Berber Sardinha (head), José Lopes Moreira Filho, and Eliane Alambert. It was a GELC (Corpus Linguistics Research Group) initiative.
The corpus contains rich metadata with a detailed genre distribution, e.g. Journalism – Magazine, Journalism – Newspaper, etc.
A project’s website of the Corpus Brasileiro is available on the Corpus Brasileiro original project website.
The CB corpus was annotated by the TreeTagger tool using this POS tagset.
Tools to work with the Corpus Brasileiro
A complete set of Sketch Engine tools is available to work with this Brazilian Portuguese corpus to generate:
- word sketch – Portuguese collocations categorized by grammatical relations
- thesaurus – synonyms and similar words for every word
- keywords – terminology extraction of one-word and multi-word units
- word lists – lists of Portuguese nouns, verbs, adjectives etc. organized by frequency
- n-grams – frequency list of multi-word units
- concordance – examples in context
- text type analysis – statistics of metadata in the corpus
version 3 (March 2017)
- corpus tagged by the RFTagger tool with the NKJP tagset
- created lempos
version 2 (1 July 2013)
- corpus tagged by the WCRFT tagger
version 1 (23 July 2012)
- initial version – 7.7 billion words, untagged
a sample for Cesar (25 October 2012)
- 640 million words sample
- tagged by WCRFT with the NKJP tagset
Jakubíček, M., Kilgarriff, A., Kovář, V., Rychlý, P., & Suchomel, V. (2013, July). The TenTen corpus family. In 7th International Corpus Linguistics Conference CL (pp. 125-127).
Suchomel, V., & Pomikálek, J. (2012). Efficient web crawling for large text corpora. In Proceedings of the seventh Web as Corpus Workshop (WAC7) (pp. 39-43).
Radziszewski, A., Kilgarriff, A., & Lew, R. (2011). Polish word sketches.
Search the Corpus Brasileiro
Sketch Engine offers a range of tools to work with the Brazilian Portuguese corpus.
Use Sketch Engine in minutes
Generate collocations, frequency lists, examples in contexts, n-grams or extract terms. Use our Quick Start Guide to learn it in minutes.